Sunday, July 6, 2008

Don't let the human factor fail to be a factor, at all

It really is funny that the more I learn about other people and how they make decisions, the harder it is to judge them for it. I only hope that the humility and willingness to change my mind that I've been trying to harness will be enough to help me to understand.

On the same note, I always hope that other people will recognize that I am trying, I am curious, and I do want to know; that they won't judge me too harshly. And maybe that weird example of open-mindedness will be meaningful. Mostly because (a) it would be helpful in them understanding me, (b) I think it really cultivates relationships and enriches those that already exist, and, selfishly, (c) I get tired of trying to explain people and perspectives to other people, and it's funny, it's not even my responsibility. Sometimes I worry I am too agreeable, whatever that means.

So I'm not naive in terms of, "I can change the world," but if I was able to readjust my own feelings, and contribute to even a small change in my way of living or thinking, and then you come to my environment, then there is something I can do, and I chose that way.
Odelia Englander
One Voice Movement

1 comment:

oldsoul said...

I think changing your mind is such an important skill to foster. Only people like George W can pretend to have it all figured out, to always make the right decisions. You are very wise for knowing that it's okay to be a flip-flopper, and that in fact that it often a sign of maturity.